In 1997, schools BEST established an endowment fun in memory of Harriet Ernst, a beloved Boxford elementary school teacher who passed away in 1995. The Fund was created to provide a permanent source of funding for innovative grant programs at Cole and Spofford Pond Schools.
“With quiet dedication, she approached each child with caring and devotion, and each day’s teaching brought a sparkle of anticipation. Harriet created an atmosphere which allowed each and every student the opportunity to grow and thrive. She was especially sensitive to the needs of Special Education students and adept at facilitating their progress. While Harriet had the wisdom of experience she remained creative and current throughout her career. She was an inspiration to her contemporaries as well as a mentor to new teachers.
About Harriet E. Ernst
Harriet E. Ernst was one of Boxford’s exceptional educators. For 32 years she taught second grade at Harry Lee Cole School, touching the lives of hundreds of children and their families. Mrs. Ernst died in 1995 and in 1997 BEST established an endowment fund in her memory.
Grants Funded Through Endowment
Mrs. Ernst and her contributions to our community continue to be honored through the Harriet E. Ernst Endowment Fund. BEST grants funded directly through the Harriet E. Ernst Endowment Fund have provided opportunities for enhanced instruction in our schools and include:
- Weather Station (1998-1999)
- Zip, Zap, Map (1999-2000)
- Art By Design – Collage Collection (2000-2001)
- Multi-Cultural Art (2002-2003)
- Animal Habitats Across the Curriculum (2003-2004)
- Kamishibai – Staging the Story (2005-2006)
- 3 Laptop Computers for Cole School/Special Education Staff (2007-2008)
- SMARTYpants – SMART Notebook: Hands-On Teacher Workshop (2007-2008)
- A Toolkit for Comprehension (2007-2008)
- Greenhouse equipment at Spofford Pond School (2012-2013)
- 1:1 iPads for students in Ms. Dalton’s art class at Cole School (2013-2014)
- 1:1 iPads and a television for students in Ms. Ashmore-Davis’ art class at Spofford School (2013-2014)