The Boxford Elementary Schools Trust (BEST) helps bring engaging learning tools and programs to Boxford classrooms, and new technology or teacher professional development opportunities to the schools by offering grants to teachers and staff twice a year, Fall and Spring. This year BEST awarded $18,291 to Boxford Elementary Schools to add a variety of offerings. Grants included:
- Full classroom of Chromebooks for Grade 4
- Train-the-trainer Professional Development for Cole School STEM teacher to acquire additional Project Based Learning strategies and train other teachers in the techniques
- Supplies for Spofford Pond School Greenhouse
- OSMO iPad Learning Center in Grade 2
- In-classroom Science Libraries that complement the new science curriculum for all classrooms in Grade 2
- In-classroom library for Grade 6 classroom on digital and global citizenship
- Interactive “J” Touch Communication Board for the Language Based Learning Center at Cole School
- Professional Development from the Landmark Outreach Program for Spofford Pond School Grade 6 teachers to learn enhanced Study Skills and Executive Function Strategies for students
All grants are made possible through the effort and dedication of BEST, whose members secure funding all year long from individuals, families, foundations and local businesses.
“It is with deep gratitude to the community that BEST brings these grants to Boxford elementary schools this year,” said Mary Ellen Bernier, BEST’s grant administrator. “Our mission is to bring innovative teaching tools to our school district, but we couldn’t do it without people and local businesses who are willing to embrace and support that mission.”
As part of its ongoing fundraising activities, BEST will be embarking on a fundraising event called #OneDayClimb for Boxford Schools. The fundraising event asks the community to donate funds over the course of one single day. The #OneDayClimb aspires to attract 290 supporters and raise $9,290 – goals inspired by the fundraiser’s Mount Everest theme (Everest has an elevation of 29,029 feet). Giving levels for the fundraiser are also reflective of the Everest climb and the camps at different levels of the Everest journey. Suggested donations begin very modestly at $2.90 and “climb” to the fundraising summit at $290.29. Any member of the community is encouraged to participate whether they currently have students in Boxford Elementary Schools or if the have graduates from them. Donations can be made online: www.bestforboxford.org, or by mail: BEST P.O. Box 176, Boxford, MA 01921
BEST is an all-volunteer, non-profit organization dedicated to fostering excellence in our public schools by raising private funds that supplement basic curriculum needs and respond to teacher requests for useful tools and strategies that enhance learning. Contributions to BEST’s mission can be made in any amount at www.bestforboxford.org.